Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sticky Rice (and Clean Water)

One thing I learned in Laos was that I love sticky rice.  I finally found some (Thai Glutinous) sticky rice here in the US (Three Elephants Brand) -- and followed directions from a blog and the rice came out - well - not quite as good as in Laos - but awfully good.  I also cooked some tofu with red curry/coconut sauce and an eggplant red chili dip - here's a photo from this evening.
The bamboo shoots just didn't come out quite right - maybe next time. 

You might notice the tell-tale bottle of water on the table -and notice that many of the plates are disposable.  Why, you might ask?  We had a "catastrophic" water main break in suburban Boston, and 2 million of us in Eastern Massachusetts are now boiling our water (or drinking bottled water).   Another thing I learned in Vietnam and Laos - how to brush my teeth with bottled water.

Here's a photo of the water section at Target in Watertown, a few hours after the announcement of the water main break:

No comments:

Post a Comment